Saturday, March 15, 2008

Macaroni and Cheese Experiment













This is my second attempt at making macaroni and cheese. But, I think this time it turned out ok. I didn't cook the macaroni long. I just cooked them for 4 min. I think this helped so it did not have a mushy texture. You can use any cheese, but I think this combination made for a creamy sauce. It didn't clump up like my first one did. This is my mom modeling my new cupcake apron. She made fun of me when I was taking pictures of the macaroni and cheese, but then she tasted it. She's so cute.

4 Tbls melted butter
4 Tbls all-purpose flour
3 12-oz cans evaporated milk
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground mustard seed
2 tsp salt
1 tsp hot sauce
8 oz fontina cheese
8 oz extra sharp chedder cheese
8 oz american cheese
1/2 cup reserve pasta water
16 oz cooked elbow macaroni (i cooked the noodles for only 4 min)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesean cheese
1 Tbls tyme

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir with a whisk, constantly, for about a minute. You want the mixture to be smooth, and you want it to have time to reach a golden-brown color.

3. Begin adding the evaporated milk slowly, continuing to whisk constantly, until all the milk is incorporated.

4. In about 10 minutes, the milk should be just below a simmer, steaming but not really bubbling, and the mixture should be thickening. Now is the time to add the grated cheeses. Stir in the cheese till it has all melted and has incorporated into the sauce. Add the nutmeg, ground mustard seed, salt and pepper.

5. In a large stockpot, combine cheese sauce, cooked noodles and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water.

6. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Top with breadcrumbs, parmesean cheese and tyme.

7. Bake for 30 min or until bubbly.

3 comments:

Kelli Proctor said...

WOW! What a hot mama modeling that apron! So finally another recipe, yea for Rachael! It looks amazing, but I still think my kids will go for good ole kraft what do you think? Jackson might go for the more refined taste of this macaroni though! It looks divine!

Christensen family said...

Rachael, I didn't know you were such the gourmet cook. That looks soooo good. I love homemade Mac & Cheese.

RBennett said...

can't you make it eaiser?